Sunday 4 May 2014

My Olympic Flashback

I am from London, East London to be precise. In 2012 one of the most magical events of probably my life took place! The London Olympics of 2012. Best of all, the action was tacking place practically on my door step! Although it was extremely hard to get tickets my family and I did get tickets to Hockey and Basketball.

The Olympic Stadium 

The Basketball arena

The Hockey Pitch
(weather wasn't great typical England)

The Olympic park (Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park) has only just really opened! In my local area we have a borough run cycle group, where on the first Sunday of each month one member organises a cycle ride. I have been on cycle rides from just 10 miles to 30! This Sunday, it was my dads turn to organise a ride and seeming as the park is nearly all open we decided to all go down there. What a transformation! It is stunning. The wild flowers and immaculate gardens. It is truly magical. Going back there brought so many happy memory's of my Olympic experience. The park is massive so going by bike is definitely the way to do it. Things have been taken away like the basketball arena, but many things added like amazing children playgrounds and new cafes. 

We started of our journey by visiting the velodrome. Tickets during the Olympics for cycling were sort after and although on our list of preference, we did not get them! Although I have driven past the velodrome many times, being so close made me catch my breath. The pure immensity of it is scary! It is massive! When I went inside my heart stopped! It really is amazing in there! In most of the venues, they are pretty relaxed about spectators coming in for a look. There were cyclists cycling, and from up close you could see how hard the sport really is. The sides are so steep and with no breaks it is probably quite scary! I felt the same buzz that I did during the Olympic stepping in there.

Inside the Velodrome

Outside the Velodrome
(although it does not look it, it was actually a really nice day)

Next we headed to the Copper Box. An arena used in the Olympics for handball, fencing and in the Paralympics used for Goalball. Now it is a multi-use venue which can hold loads of sports! From basketball, Handball, Netball, Volleyball, Badminton and even Gymnastics! Although we could not go into the actual venue, we could look through the glass as the arena.

  From the Outside

There was quite a lot of us

After that we went for Lunch to a lovely place called the Timber Lodge. Although it is not in the centre of all the action, it was still very busy! It sold nice freshly made baguettes, cakes and a range of hot food. Although not the cheapest place, the food was very good and the situation lovely. We sat outside as the weather was so good! As we started to gradually get further and further into the park, the busier it got! There were lots of cyclists and pedestrians of all ages!    
  
The Timber Lodge

Once we had all ate, we saddled up and headed for the aquatic centre. Getting their involved us cycling through the main part of the park which was very busy! Lots of children playing in the playgrounds and playing in the little water fountains. Again Swimming and diving were sort after events during the Olympics and were on our preferred list of events! Although I was not there during the Olympic my friends dad was not well enough to go to the swimming in the Paralympics so I was asked to go! It was amazing! Although we were up very high you could still feel the atmosphere and the buzz! Going to the pool again for the first time in two years (after a lot of work being done to it) was great! Unfortunately we could not go in as an event was tacking place! We could pay £2 each but we would not see much as we would not get to properly look around. That was a bit disappointing! 

   Outside the entrance to the pool 

Finally we went to the orbit! A red sculpture in the Olympic Park which is 114.5m high and designed by Anish Kapoor. You can actually go up it although we did not. This sculpture can be seen from miles away including from my friends balcony who lives round the corner to me!

The Orbit
(and some of our cyclists)  

I had a really good day today! It brought back so many good memory's! I cant wait to come here with my friends in the summer to chill out and have picnics! I would recommend every one to go down there and have a look! I will also be back for a swim and maybe even another cycle! You could easily spend a good day down there (especially if you include a  bit of shopping in Westfeild)! 


Hope you liked this post! Comment any suggestions or feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment